Thursday, September 22, 2011

Weekend shows

Wesley went to his first shows this weekend. As I said in a previous post, I am trying to measure our success in how well he shows. I was absolutely thrilled with him. He stacked beautifully, was perfect for the exam, and gaited nicely. I received many compliments on what a nice puppy he is. I did notice that he looked very immature compared to the dogs that were there. He will go to a few more shows for experience but then I'll probably concentrate on rally and obedience until he matures a little more. He is also working on agility but, at 6 months of age, I am mostly interested in developing a love for agility and in keeping his speed and enthusiasm. We'll start getting into the more serious stuff in the spring. He can do a lot of the obstacles already so I just want to keep it fun for him.

Prior to the shows I went shopping to try to find some skirts to wear in the ring.  I hate shopping and shopping for skirts was not anything I'd look forward to. I couldn't find anything. The skirts were either way above the knee (not going there) or mid-calf and very full. I am short so mid-calf cuts me in half. It's fall so I thought there would be beautiful fall colors like gold, forest green, red etc. but everything is shades of grey and black. I guess I will be forced to walk up to handlers who are wearing suits I like and ask where they bought them. I will have to venture out again to shop before the next set of shows. I hate to take time away from important things like playing with the dogs to shop.

4 comments:

Ch. Highgate's Storm Tracker CGN said...

Kathy you & I sound very much alike !! I hate shopping for show clothes so much that I tried shopping gave up and hired a handler much easier for me!Glad to have his Ch finshed so now I focus on his obedience & tracking! (Although im finding the show ring is haunting me right now in my obedience he loved showing so much that he constantly does something in obedience and pops into a show stand!

Ravenwood Dalmatians said...

I used to love showing in conformation but the only other thing then was obedience (which I also love). Once I started running agility everything seemed to pale in comparison. I have some nice pant suits that I judge in but I'd say 95% of the women at the show were wearing skirts. UGH!!! I'll have to make the sacrifice and try one more shopping trip...and it's not just hard to find skirts....it's hard to find anything with pockets.

Ch. Highgate's Storm Tracker CGN said...

All of my handlers stuffed food in their bra's lol !!

A to Z Dals said...

You could buy one of the longer skirts and then have it altered. I'm with you... I hate clothes shopping and love performance where I can wear comfortable slacks and a nice shirt.