Saturday, July 9, 2011

Wesley and Puppy Socialization Time

I took Wesley to puppy socialization time last night. It was a terrible drive in heavy traffic and took me much longer than anticipated. When we got there I discovered only 1 other puppy had shown up. The other puppy was a very rambunctious Lab that was 8 months old. I had thought there would be puppies from Wesley's puppy class. Wesley had not dealt with a rough and tumble dog as his playmates have been either his age or they have been adults who know how to play gently. After about 30 seconds I almost ended the play because I thought the Lab was just too rough. I let it go a little longer and he seemed to figure out he would have to be a little tougher with her. After a short time they were playing nicely, albeit roughly, and he was having a grand time. I was very pleased that I could call him away from the play and he would come to me and give me his full attention to do some heeling, sits, down, stays, etc. and then could be released back to play mode. Both pups were exhausted by the time we left. He slept all the way home but had his energy back by the time we got home. Wish I had that kind of energy recovery!!! Wesley enjoyed meeting some new people and was a perfect gentleman with a little girl.  I was concerned that after the rough play he might try that on my adults at home but he didn't. He played calmly and quietly with them. I think he is getting to be very good at reading other dogs and he will have excellent social skills as he matures.

Nori is not enjoying crate rest at all. Her leg seems to be better as she walks with full weight on it but I know we still have a way to go before she can resume more normal activities.

1 comment:

A to Z Dals said...

Good for Wesley that he can adapt. Gimme has only been with a couple dogs that play rough and she didn't like it at all and avoided them. She wasn't snarky, just wouldn't interact with them. She seems to have very nice social skills.

So sorry to hear that Nori is "suffering" from that evil crate rest. But its worth it so she can get better and go back to her usual activities and live pain free. Too bad you can't actually explain that to her.