Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Wesley Class 7

I was very pleased with Wesley at class last night. The instructor introduced shaping to the class. Of course, I started shaping with him in the hotel the first night I had him. The idea in class was to teach a puppy to go to place inside a hula hoop that was flat on the ground. Wesley has been taught to go to so many things that he ran to it the second it hit the ground. I clicked and treated by tossing his treat away from the hoop. He snatched up the treat and ran right back to inside the hoop. With a few C/Ts he was happily racing to get in position. I didn't want to overdo this as I limit shaping sessions but since other puppies were still working I decided he could learn to go back and forth through the hula hoop. I had the bottom of the hoop resting on the floor. He looked at the set up and then poked his head through the hoop...C/T. I tossed the treat and he raced back to try again. This time he immediately started through the hoop so I clicked and tossed the treat ahead of him so he could finish going through. Within a few C/Ts he was happily going through the hoop from both directions. We also worked on some right side heelwork which he has also been doing since I brought him home. He can change sides by doing a single leg weave, a spin to the outside (good skill for rear crosses), and by turning towards me as I turn towards him. He loves heelwork games. Once again we turned the puppies loose to run and play and he didn't leave me until I gave him permission to join the play group. He comes when called out of the play group. He plays beautifully with the other puppies. I am so glad he is in a class with other sweet, social puppies. They all display very nice greeting and play skills. His heelwork was good as were his stays. He did a nice stand stay with me doing the exam. Next week I'll ask the instructor to do the exam. I'm really having a blast with him.

No comments: